The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring
From the Curator
Trees, Ferns and Rhododendrons at the October 12 Sale
Fall is for planting! With our annual rains right around the corner this is the best time to plant and capitalize on the watering assistance from Mother Nature. Trees, ferns and rhododendrons will be featured at the sale along with great selections from other departments. We will have some beautiful and rare plants nearly impossible to get anywhere else. Such as:
- From our Mesoamerican Cloud Forest collection – in bloom and featured now at the Garden – Chiranthodendron pentadactylon – monkey's hand tree
- From our in-development South East Asian Cloud Forest collection – the largest selection of Vireya Rhododendron we have ever had!
- Rare evergreen maple basically unheard of in cultivation – Acer laevigatum – smoothbark maple
- Metasequoia glyptostroboides – Dawn Redwood
- 6-8 different species / cultivar Magnolia in mostly 5 gallon pots incluiding M. stellata, M. 'Butterflies', M. denudata, M. 'Vulcan'
- Thuja plicata – western red cedar
- Much more!
Ask a Master Gardener
Bring your plant questions to the Plant Sale! Master Gardeners will be stationed at pickup by the Plant Arbor from 11:30am–2:30pm.
The plant sale takes place October 12, 10am–1pm at the Nursery. And don't forget that Members get 10% off their purchases. See you at the Sale!
More about our plant sales
Back to October 2013 newsletter