Coast Redwood: A Natural and Cultural History
From the Curator
Summer Perennials Featured at June 8 Plant Sale
Summertime is here and we have some breath-taking perennial plants to add to your summer garden. These beauties will add instant gratification with many in bloom, ready to plant with the added bonus that they'll keep giving for many seasons to come.
Some examples of plants we will have at the sale are:
- Geranium 'Rozanne'
- Heuchera, Heucherella, and Tiarella species – all have beautifully marbled foliage and are great for part shade
- Ligularia species
- Thalictrum speciosissimum
- Corydalis 'China Blue'
- Achillea species with flower colors from sunset shades to bright pink
- Rhodocoma capensis and Thamnochortus insignis – two of the best of the restios that make a perfect fountain of grasslike foliage.
Plant sale preview photos chosen as representative examples. Preview photos are based on the selection we're preparing for the sale but are not necessarily actual photos of plants at the sale.
In addition to the above we have some beautiful California native perennials to add to your garden:
- Sidalcea malviflora - several species of butterflies lay their eggs on these
- Erysimum species
- Eriogonum latifolium
- Asclepias speciosa – food for monarch butterfly larvae
- Armeria maritima
- Grindelia hirsutula (formerly G. arenicola)
Ask a Master Gardener
Bring your plant questions to the Plant Sale! Master Gardeners will be stationed at pickup by the Plant Arbor from 11:30am–2:30pm.
The plant sale takes place June 8, 10am–1pm at the Nursery. And don't forget that Members get 10% off their purchases. Happy summer! See you at the sale!
More about our plant sales
Back to June 2013 newsletter