Children's Circulating Collection
Assistant Librarian Lia Thomas helps check out books to Juan-Carlos Cuellar, a kindergarten teacher at E.R. Taylor Elementary School and the Library's first circulating customer.
The Library houses more than 1,600 children's books related to botanical and horticultural topics, including natural history, zoology, agriculture, forestry, and physical science. This collection is the Library's only circulating collection and can be checked out by current San Francisco Botanical Garden Society members and current San Francisco Unified School District teachers after successfully applying for a library card.
How to Apply for a Library Card
All applications for a library card must be made in person at the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture. Circulation privileges are available to current San Francisco Botanical Garden Society members (SFBGS), and current San Francisco Unified School District teachers (SFUSD). Find out more about becoming a SFBGS member.
In order to initially obtain borrowing privileges:
- SFBGS members must show proof of current membership, a photo ID, and complete a library card application.
- SFUSD teachers must show proof of current employment as a teacher with the SFUSD (e.g. placement letter), a photo ID, and complete a library card application.
- Patrons must present their current SFBGS membership card or current SFUSD HCR Library card to check out books
- Library cards allow patrons to check out the Children's Collection ONLY; no other part of the Library's collection circulates
- Circulation time: 3 weeks
- Maximum number of books checked out at one time: 10 books
- Returns: All books must be returned during Library hours,
10am–4pm every day (except Tuesdays); The Library does not have an after-hours books drop; Books are due by 4pm on the date stamped on the due date slip
- Renewals: One renewal in person that extends the due date for an additional week
- Overdue items: Overdue notices will be sent when an item is overdue
- Fines: The Library does not charge fines.
- Lost or damaged items: Patrons are responsible for all materials checked out on their card. If an item is lost or damaged the Library reserves the right to charge for the cost of repair or replacement, and a replacement fee.
- If you have any questions about the above policies please contact a Helen Crocker Russell librarian: (415) 661-1316 ext.403 or firstname.lastname@example.org