The San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is currently seeking a
Position Title: Membership Associate
Reports to: Director of Development
Employment Status: Full time, Exempt
This is in an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to further define how our core base of supporters will engage with San Francisco Botanical Garden while being part of a creative team that expands upon the potential of the Garden's communities of support.
With the support of the Society's Director of Development, the Membership Associate will implement a comprehensive annual membership campaign to acquire new members and retain and upgrade current members. The Membership Associate will be responsible for four overarching goals:
- Achieve specific revenue goals for membership-level giving
- Grow the overall number of member households to specific targets
- Ensure a positive member experience – and high retention rates – through the creation
and implementation of a successful membership services program
- Work closely with staff across departments to develop members as active participants in
the Garden's programs and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as project manager for the production and design of membership collateral, which includes conception and drafting of renewal and acquisition mailings, brochures, event collateral, benefits descriptions, and customer service pieces.
- In partnership with the Development Specialist manage member renewals and acquisitions via mail, email, and phone.
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for all levels below Strybing Circle.
- In partnership with the Development Specialist, report on appeal and campaign activities. Research and report on long-term membership trends and projections. Present findings as requested.
- Develop new strategies for increasing giving among current members, reinstating lapsed members, and acquiring new members.
- With oversight from the Director of Development, develop and implement annual plans and detailed budgets for the program, as well as long-term planning that meets the goals of the organization's overall strategic vision.
- Collaborate with Development Officer on member upgrades to Strybing Circle/major gifts.
- In partnership with Development Specialist, coordinate all aspects of quarterly Member events and support coordination of major donor events (Strybing Circle Walk and Talks, Garden Feast) with Development Officer.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and prospective members to the Garden, and over phone/email, including handling of sensitive customer service issues.
- Train Garden staff, in all departments, in customer service policies and techniques.
- Supervise and act as back-up staff for on-site membership sales personnel.
- Management of membership council, a volunteer-led membership support group.
- Represent SFBG to members and donors, as well as prospective supporters, vendors, consultants, and peers at other organizations. Some evening and weekend hours necessary.
- Ability to interact effectively with SFBGS leadership, Park/Garden staff, prospects and donors. Adept in building relationships with colleagues and building consensus among individuals with competing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, on the telephone, and in writing with supervisors, staff, Trustees, and donors.
- Ability to compose correspondence with accuracy, clarity and attention to detail.
- Strong planning, strategic and organizational skills to effectively coordinate and prioritize
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to sustain a positive attitude and sense of humor while working under pressure and against deadlines.
- Attend all Development events, including donor benefit and cultivation events, fundraising events, and trustee meetings as requested etc. (Available to work weekends and evenings when necessary and as requested.)
- Customer service-oriented with a high level of confidence in communicating with diverse constituencies.
- Professional demeanor and appearance.
- Interest in botany and horticulture a plus.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include
other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Bachelors Degree with at least 2 years of experience in membership or fundraising.
- Experience implementing direct marketing campaigns and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience with donor database software, preferably Raiser's Edge.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to evenings and weekends, with the potential for long hours during critical periods such as special events. Must be able to climb a flight of stairs and carry and lift meeting and event materials.
About San Francisco Botanical Garden Society
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society (SFBGS) works in partnership with the City of San Francisco/Recreation and Park Department to support San Francisco Botanical Garden, whose 55 acres in Golden Gate Park and geographic and thematic gardens include more than 8,000 different kinds of plants native to California and from throughout the world.
SFBGS's twofold mission is to build communities of support for the Botanical Garden and to cultivate the bond between people and plants. With the help of its members, donors and volunteers, SFBGS funds and oversees Garden improvements, provides curatorial and plant collections management services, propagates plants for the Botanical Garden and for sale to the public, maintains the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture, offers year-round educational and community programming, operates the Garden Bookstore and Arbor (for plant sales), and welcomes visitors from San Francisco, the Bay Area and all over the world.
Please submit resume and cover letter outlining background, experience and interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Membership Associate".
SFBGS hopes to fill the position as soon as possible. Interested applicants should apply at their earliest convenience. No phone calls please.
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.