The San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is currently seeking
Junior Interns for Acorn to Oak Children's Program
Interns' primary responsibility is to assist senior interns with our "From Acorn to Oak" summer program. This program serves children enrolled in day camps and similar programs, providing them an opportunity to spend a day working, playing, and learning outdoors. "From Acorn to Oak" is centered around our Children's Garden, where children can plant, pick and eat a variety of garden crops.
- Assist with development, preparation and presentation of hands-on gardening, environmental education, and nature craft activities for children ages 5–12.
- Assist with preparation of materials and supplies for daily activities, set up and clean up demonstration areas, clean and maintain tools.
- Prepare and serve morning snack.
- Purchase and submit expense report for fresh fruit bought for program snack.
- Help maintain Children's Garden & John Muir Nature Trail – water, weed, plant, etc.
- Other duties as required.
- At least 15 years old as of May 14, 2014.
- Previous experience working with children ages 5 – 12.
- Ability to work with a diverse urban population.
- Gardening or other outdoor experience helpful.
- Completion of 5 hours of garden volunteer service in the Children's Garden by attending our Garden Work Days as well as an additional 5 hours of volunteer service in our Bean Sprouts Family program in the Children's Garden (see dates below) Must have a signed parental consent form before beginning volunteer work.
June 2–August 8 Monday-Friday 10 am–3 pm
Garden Work Days: Saturdays 12–3pm
February: 1, 8, 15; March: 1, 8, 15, 22
Bean Sprouts Program: Saturdays 11:30am–4pm
April: 5, 12, 19, 26; May: 3, 10
$10.55 per hour
Please send a letter describing your interest and qualifications and a letter of reference from a teacher, employer, or other adult who knows your work to:
Gretchen Norrell, Children's Garden Educator
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society
1199 9th Ave
San Francisco, CA 94122